If you are looking for the best place to buy a diamond, then you’ll absolutely LOVE this (updated) guide.
Being a jewelry lover and diamond collector (and a consumer like you), I personally tested and reviewed over 100s of businesses both online and offline.
From a consumer’s perspective, let me tell you that the majority of jewelry stores fall short on delivering high quality diamonds at fair prices and/or provide a great overall shopping experience. Luckily for you, I’ve done the leg work and curated a list of the best places to buy a diamond,
I’ve summarized the various options below and made things even easier for you by listing what the individual jewelers are best for…
#1: James Allen – the best location to buy fancy shape diamonds.
#2: Whiteflash – for the best quality diamonds and designer rings.
#3: Brian Gavin – for the super ideal cut rounds, cushions, emerald & princess.
#4: Leibish – the best retailer to buy a natural color diamond.
#5: Brilliant Earth – for the best selection of lab-made diamonds.
#6: Blue Nile – for the best place to buy large size diamonds.
In my opinion, there isn’t a single best place to buy diamonds and the ideal vendor is dependent on what you are looking for. Feel free to click on the links above and read our summary on the corresponding company.
Well, you shouldn’t be. Here’s why…
Going online beats buying in a physical store in every aspect of the shopping process.
From having a more transparent shopping experience to gaining access to wider diamond selections, you also get to see and compare diamonds down to the smallest details and away from a pressurized selling environment.
If you ever been to a physical jewelry store and requested to examine a piece of jewelry, you will know exactly what I’m talking about. Not only do you need to use a loupe correctly and deal with excessively bright lights, you also have someone breathing down your neck and eyeballing your every action.
Going online means there is no pressure to buy, no pushy salespeople to deal with and you get to buy a higher quality piece of jewelry at a fraction of retail prices because of lesser overheads. Get this, the larger selection of diamonds online enables you to cherry pick diamonds according to what you want without the need to compromise on your budget or specifications.
In terms of sales policies, physical stores will come nowhere near to what online retailers offer in terms of money-back guarantee and risk free purchases. At the end of the day, finding a high quality diamond is way easier online compared to banging your head against the wall at a physical retailer.
James Allen has pioneered and completely revolutionize the way consumers shop for diamonds and fine jewelry. This momentous feat was achieved through their proprietary 360° Diamond Display Technology. Combined with a fuss-free and superb user interface, they deliver an impeccable shopping experience for every customer.
– 150,000+ certified conflict-free diamonds in 360° HD videos.
– Superb user-friendly interface and intuitive browsing.
– Exclusive CanadaMark online retailer.
– Lifetime warranty of all jewelry products sold.
– Hassle free returns with 30 day money back guarantee.
– Free shipping worldwide.
– 24/7 customer service (available via live chat, phone & email)
– Lifetime upgrade (100% credit towards new purchase of 2x or higher value)
Speaking from my extensive shopping experience (both offline and online), let me tell you that James Allen is hands-down the most intuitive website to browse and one of the best places to buy loose diamonds.
Every single diamond in their inventory can be easily scrutinized via the video listings and you get to SEE exactly what you are buying. If you are interested, click here for a full blown review of JamesAllen.com.
Here’s a sample listing from JamesAllen.com to give you an idea how easy it is to scrutinize diamond details…
The ability to interact with the diamond at different magnifications enables you to make educated decisions.
Try it out for yourself and you will see why it’s so easy to fall in love with the website.
James Allen is absolutely the best vendor when it comes to buying fancy shape diamonds like ovals, pears, hearts, cushions and Asschers. This is because a fancy shape diamond’s cut quality and performance can be deciphered via videos and ASET images (James Allen provides this on request).
On top of that, James Allen has a broad inventory with good selections of fancy shapes across different sizes, specifications and caters to people with different budgets.
In sharp contrast to what you will see in physical stores or other online retailers, you get total transparency in every step of the shopping process – from loose diamond selection all the way to designing your own jewelry.
White Flash is an online jeweler founded in 2000 and they are based in Houston, Texas. Their signature “A CUT ABOVE®” super ideal round and princess diamonds are internationally recognized as some of the most well cut diamonds in the world.
Not only do they have a modern manufacturing facility and the capability to create fine jewelry with different levels of complexity, they are also an authorized retailer of some of the most well known designer brands in the industry like Tacori, Verragio, Ritani and many others.
– Deep inventory of certified AGS/GIA ideal cut diamonds.
– Diamonds cut for superlative light performance and precision.
– Consistent winners of prestigious BBB Winner of Distinction awards.
– Only retailer jeweler awarded with ISO 9000 – Quality Management.
– Beautiful settings that are made with great craftsmanship.
– 30 day returns and 1 year buyback guarantee.
– Authorized retailer of well known designer ring brands.
– Free Fedex delivery that is fully insured.
– Lifetime 100% trade up benefit for signature diamonds.
White Flash specializes in super ideal cut diamonds that are crafted for light performance and sparkle. What makes them stand out is their deep inventory of in-house diamonds and their stringent standards of curating the best cut diamonds.
Owning the diamonds instead of utilizing a virtual inventory (most online vendors list diamonds they don’t own) also enables them to capture analytical data on their diamonds (e.g. ASET, Idealscope, videos) and provide a higher level of service to their clients (e.g. provide comparison videos).
Sample listing of in-house loose diamond (A Cut Above)
Analytical data for light performance and cut optics are readily available for all their in-house listings.
Brian Gavin is a 5th generation diamond cutter with South African roots and well-known in the industry as a pioneer pushing the boundary of diamond cut quality. In 2009, he launched his company “Brian Gavin Diamonds” and started the production of a series of hearts and arrows ideal cut diamonds.
– Every signature diamond is owned in-house and individually curated.
– Availability of super ideal cut fancy shape diamonds like the cushion & princess.
– Fluorescent diamonds with ideal cut quality and lower prices.
– Exclusive AGS000 ideal cut emerald diamonds.
– Availability of warm-colored super ideal cut diamonds (M-Z color).
– Superb bench workmanship quality and custom designs.
– 1 year buyback policy.
– Financing options available via Affirm.
– 15 day inspection period & return.
– Free international shipping with full insurance.
– Lifetime upgrade benefit for signature diamonds.
If you are in the market for a round, princess, cushion or emerald cut diamond and you are looking for the best of the best in terms of cut quality, look no further. Brian Gavin’s diamonds are consistently top notch and have the best possible sparkle.
For an indepth review of their different signature lines of diamonds, click here to read the comprehensive analysis I performed on their diamonds.
What I love about their listing pages is that they provide various views of the diamonds under different lighting conditions. This allows you to see how the diamond actually interacts with light!
Brian Gavin is a market leader and constantly innovating to create new product lines. In late 2017, he launched a newly minted signature line of AGS000 emerald cut diamonds that exhibited superb optics and contrast patterning.
This groundbreaking launch revealed the first ever emerald cut diamonds which were consistently brighter than other emerald cut diamonds and were backed up with scientific evaluation of light performance by AGS.
Leibish & Co. is the most recognized name in the industry when it comes to natural fancy color diamonds. Since the company was founded in 1979, they have built up a fantastic reputation and specialization in color diamonds of various hues, clarities, rarity and sizes.
– World renowned fancy color diamond specialist.
– Reputable and reliable GIA certification reports for color diamonds.
– Exclusive Argyle diamonds acquired directly from tender.
– Fancy color diamonds of every color and hue imaginable.
– Beautiful settings that are made with great craftsmanship.
– 30 day money back guarantee.
– Free insured international shipping.
– 2 year jewelry and service warranty.
– Professional appraisal report for purchased jewelry.
Most notably, Leibish has access to one of the most exquisite collection of Argyle diamonds which are highly sought after by collectors and investors alike. On top of that, Leibish and Co. also takes great pride in their excellent workmanship of their settings.
Check out the following video of a fancy intense yellow diamond ring I purchased from Leibish for my wife’s wedding anniversary. It’s absolutely stunning and very well made.
Follow this link to read the entire review and view detailed photographs of my purchase…
Brilliant Earth is a leading company for ethically sourced and eco-friendly jewelry in the industry. From carefully curated suppliers to the use of recycled gold and platinum, they aim to develop a more ethical and sustainable jewelry industry through their business practices.
– Largest retailer of lab created diamonds in the world.
– Massive inventory of diamonds for selection.
– Affordable lab grown fancy color diamonds.
– Stunning wooden jewelry box made in New Zealand.
– Exquisite settings that are crafted with great craftsmanship
– Financing and layaway options available.
– Generous 30 day returns.
– Free insured international shipping both ways.
– Lifetime manufacturing warranty.
Just to be clear, Brilliant Earth offers both natural diamonds and lab created diamonds for sale on their website. I have personally bought and reviewed both types of diamond jewelry in person. You can follow these links (Brilliant Earth engagement ring review / lab grown diamond review) – to read our indepth reviews on both types of products.
The competitive edge Brilliant Earth has over other vendors is their huge inventory of graded lab diamonds (both white and fancy colored options). At the time of writing, BrilliantEarth.com lists more than 6,000 loose lab created diamonds in their inventory and I can tell you that no other vendor in the world comes close to the depth of selection they offer.
Example of a loose diamond listing on BrilliantEarth.com…
Did you know that an equivalent natural fancy vivid pink diamond like this would cost at least 30-40 times more?
The point I want to make here is; a broader inventory provides you with more options and enables you to cherry pick the best diamond possible for any given budget/specifications.
Founded in 1995, Blue Nile is a one-stop solution for high quality diamond jewelry and is headquartered in Seattle. Over the years, they have grown from a small scale operation into the biggest online retailer of diamonds.
Mind you, this is no mean feat and the relationships they have established with some of the biggest manufacturers in the world has enabled them to offer a depth of inventory no one else can match.
– Great selections of large size diamonds that are certified by GIA.
– Full lifetime warranty (complimentary repair, cleaning, and resizing).
– Offers the most competitive prices to get the best value for money.
– Free overnight shipping service and returns.
– Superb setting craftsmanship from at affordable prices.
– 100% trade in policy for all GIA/AGS certified diamonds.
– Financing options available via Blue Nile credit card.
– 24/7 expert service (available via live chat, phone & email)
– 30-day returns for risk-free shopping and 100% satisfaction.
Example listings of large size diamond with superb light return at Blue Nile.
Quality control is something that Blue Nile take seriously and they stand behind every item they create. From initial design to the final workmanship, there are multiple quality checks at each stage of the manufacturing to ensure you get a ring that exceeds your expectations.
Having a lean business setup, they are able to drive down overheads and this results in cost savings that are passed onto customers. Their relationship with gem polishers also enables them to attain a good inventory of large size diamonds with high standards of cut quality.
So there you have it, these are the best places to buy diamonds and I personally vouch for them based on my own shopping experience with them. Not only do they offer customer orientated policies, the entire shopping process is hassle-free and fully transparent.
At the end of the day, the best place to buy your diamond is dependent on what you are looking for and the purpose behind your purchase. While the retailers here may have overlapping services with each other, they each have their own area of specialties which is among the best in the entire jewelry industry.
Now, I’d like to hear what you have to say.
What constitutes the ideal place for you to buy a diamond? What kind of diamond are you looking for? Let me know by leaving a comment below.