I Dropped My Diamond And I See a Line (Crack) Now!

Question: Help! I dropped my diamond ring on the floor recently and when I checked it for damages, I noticed there’s a line in the entire horizontal plane of the diamond which wasn’t there before. It seems like the entire diamond has cracked in the body and it looks very severe. What should I do now?

Cindy

Answer: Dear Cindy,

It is very unlikely that a diamond would crack just by dropping it. Under the most severe circumstances, a diamond would probably chip under a hard blow. Examples of these include hitting the diamond at an angle with a lot of force or banging your hand against a hard surface accidentally.

In your case, there is really no cause for worry. What you are seeing is probably due to a phenomenon known as girdle reflection caused by the pavilion facets. In fact, I do get asked some similar questions about the ‘horizontal line’.

To many people looking at it for the first time, it does look like a crack or feather inclusion. In another case, a lady who returned from her routine cleaning service actually thought that her diamond was switched!

horizontal line across diamond's profile

The horizontal line is due to girdle reflection and is NOT a crack.

Don’t worry, it’s not a crack or a major inclusion that you missed when buying the diamond. The most common scenario that happens when people accidentally knock or drop their ring is that they start scrutinizing the ring and begin to see things they never noticed before. Needless to say, they get worried and start to fret.

Here’s how you can check for girdle reflections and give yourself a peace of mind. By tilting the diamond at different angles, the girdle reflection would also shift in its position. Also, the size of the reflection is proportional to the girdle thickness of your diamond. Depending on your diamond’s proportions, you might see a thinner or thicker reflection.

another view of the girdle reflection in a diamond

Looking at the reflection from a different angle.

picking up a diamond with tweezers

At a slightly different tilt, the reflection of the diamond girdle shifts in position.

Like I said earlier, diamonds are hard and very unlikely to get damaged just by dropping the ring. If you are still worried, get it checked by a jeweler in your area. What he/she is going to tell you would probably be what I mentioned above.

Best Regards,
Paul

JamesAllen.com offers an enormous inventory of GIA graded loose diamonds with magnified videos and images to help you SEE and interact with the diamond. Experience their outstanding customer service and intuitive website for yourself today!

Related Articles

Share This Page on Social Media!

9 Comments

1. Caroline-
    August 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

When I came back from the jeweler today with a prong re-tightening maintenance, I noticed a white line across one of the facets on the top of the diamond.

I tried cleaning and wiping the diamond with a cloth but its still there.

Please help. Had my jeweler damaged the diamond?

2. admin-
    August 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hello,

There’s no sure way to tell unless I can inspect your diamond physically.

When you purchase your diamond, did it come with a grading certificate? If it has one, you might want to check to see if the inclusion was present there in the first place. You might had noticed it only today.

Paul

3. Caroline-
    August 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying. I checked my GIA certificate and see no signs of inclusions in the plot that is located near this location. My diamond is a VS2 clarity stone.

Caroline

4. admin-
    August 19, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Hi Caroline,

Sounds like you might or might not have a problem. I don’t want to jump to conclusions here.

You should bring it back to the jeweler to see what they say.

Paul

5. Jasmine-
    November 15, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Hello, i accidentally dropped my .28 diamond earring earlier on, it landed on the floor and i would like to know if it will cause and crack or scratches on the diamond?

6. Paul Gian-
    November 16, 2015 at 1:53 am

It’s very unlikely. If you are still afraid it will, searching for answers online is not the best solution. Bring it in to the jeweler for a physical inspection.

7. Thomas-
    September 23, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Thank you for this article! 4 years later, and I’m sure it still gets TONS of visits. Glad to know I didn’t get a Lemon that randomly cracks internally :)

8. Vanessa-
    January 11, 2017 at 6:40 pm

My hand was under a metal shelf and I pulled my hand straight up not realizing that my diamond ring was on that hand and it hit/rubbed against the edge. I used a lot of force as I can see damage to the gold on one of the prongs – it actually was indented or broke off. Anyways I then noticed that there was a horizontal line that runs right across the diamond. I am really worried that I cracked the diamond. My sis and I didn’t notice this line at the Jewelers. It is a .61 Carat VVS2 diamond and I have only had it for a week. What happens if it a crack? Can anything be done to fix it?

9. Paul Gian-
    January 13, 2017 at 3:04 am

Take it back to the jewelers for a check. Chances are, it isn’t a crack and you are unduly worried.